Thursday, April 12, 2007

ZENI GEVA & X-RATED-X - split (7'') Erase-Yer-Head #01 & Pandemonium #05 1995





Again Zeni Geva, again in a comic context and still my favourite Japanese back breakers from the nineties. My first contact with them was live and it was incredible: entered the stage, stated “Zeni Geva. Japan” and then destroyed the youth club.
Back to the 7” which was the first part of a series dedicated to David Lynch’s Eraserhead and comics/art by the French Pandemonium label (later parts had for example Cows or – for subscribers - even Guapo).
Zeni Geva’s song here is a bit weaker than their previous stuff since 1987 and I was quite disappointed back then as far as I can remember, especially when you think of the stuff on AT. I like X-Rated-X a bit more here: one of the best bands out of France back then playing noise rock and adding the modern industrial sound with a drum computer or at least one of the bands who presented it with dignity1. “The French Godflesh” said a friend of mine, but in my eyes they were less “metal” – do me a favour and get their album on Pandemonium. Sadly this is also their last recording but also their best.

I really love 7”’s with fold out covers!

ZENI GEVA/ X-RATED-X – Erase-yer-head Single Club (7”) Erase-Yer-Head #01 & Pandemonium Records #05 1995

side a:
Zeni Geva
1. hate trader

side b:
X-Rated-X
1. dog eat dog
[OGG Vorbis, 256k, password: eraserhead, mirror 1, mirror 2]

Links:
Pandemonium & Erase-Yer-Head


1 Industrial was a four-letter word for me around that time: metal heads doing shitty music while I expected something like Throbbing Gristle, SPK and early Laibach. Industrial was dead in the 90ies, dudes. Period. And it’s even more today, except for some originators who are still around.

No comments: